Urdu Review (اردو ریویو) is a bi-annual research journal of the Department of Urdu, University of Okara (Pakistan). Its medium is urdu language. It follows the sops given by the Higher Education Commission Islamabad for the research journals of the discipline of humanities. Its advisory board is consisted upon eminent national and international urdu scholars. The unpublished research-based articles in the context of urdu language and literature are included in urdu review.
Aims and Objectives
The aim of the journal is to provide high quality research material in urdu for researchers, academicians, professionals and scholars from all over the world. Urdu Review focuses the literay research and modern trends of criticism in subject of urdu language and literature but regards the classical tradition of urdu poetry and fiction too. It promotes harmony and understanding among various schools of thought in the ongoing enhancement in research. Urdu Review has been playing a significant role in developing indigenous research approaches that will help improve the impact of research and criticism on society.
Publishing Practice of "URDU REVIEW" has a certain ethical policy that has been developed keeping in view the COPE guidelines and HEC ethical guidelines for the research journals. Some key points of it are as follows:
Policy for the Editor(s):
· Editor is wholly responsible to establish/maintaining the quality of the journal.
· He/She has full authority to accept or reject any research paper keeping in view the publishing policy of (URDU REVIEW) or the standard of the topic/ references/ material/ presentation/ language of the submitted paper and professional demands as well.
· Editor ensures the process of blind peer review of every paper.
· Editor ensures the Plagiarism Check of every paper and strictly follows the HEC Plagiarism Policy regarding this matter.
· Editor is bound to follow the journal's policy without any institutional pressure.
· Editor would provide corrigendum for any correction, clarification, and apologies when required.
· Editor may appoint Members of Editorial Board/ Advisory Board and change them anytime.
· Editor ensures smooth functioning of the journal and conducting the editorial board meeting on regular basis.
· Editor would disregard the discriminating factors, e.g. Gender, race, ethnicity, religious belief, cultural sentiments, political affiliation, seniority, and/or institutional association of the author(s) while selecting articles for publication.
· Editor would try to promptly respond to the author (s) of the papers submitted for publishing, for any query.
· Editor will not edit any submitted paper which would have any conflict of interest. He /She is responsible to ask the reviewers/evaluators also for disclosing any conflict of interest regarding the submitted research paper to ensure impartiality.
· Editor ensures the confidentiality of the content of the manuscript before publishing at his and reviewer's end.
Policy for the Author(s)
· An author (principal) is a person who has significantly authored the research paper. One who has contributed to some extent or helped out the author in the write-up should not be the author.
· Someone who has contributed particularly in any design, analysis, etc./can be credited as co-author.
· Author would be fully responsible for the presented study.
· It is the author's (s)' responsibility to ensure that the research paper and data contain adequate details and references to the sources of information to allow others to reproduce the results. Fraudulent or knowingly inaccurate statements constitute unethical behavior and are unacceptable.
· Author(s) is required to provide an undertaking stating that the submitted manuscript contains solely his original work and no material has been copied without reference from anywhere. If someone coauthors the paper then his contribution should be explicitly stated in that undertaking.
· Article once submitted by the author to "URDU REVIEW" will not be submitted to any other journal till the time he/she would have been conveyed about rejection from our side. Concurrent submission of the same manuscript to more than one journal is an unethical publishing behavior and it is highly unacceptable.
· If any question arises about the accuracy or validity of the research work during the review process, the author(s) should provide raw data to the Editor.
· The author(s) should disclose any conflict of interest at the earliest possible stage keeping in view the editorial and advisory board, employment, consultancies, honoraria, patent applications/registrations, grants, or other funding.
· Authors are supposed to allow the journal while submitting the paper to reserve the right to circulate the article.
· Authors are supposed to bind with the journal's policy when submitting a paper to "URDU REVIEW".
· The review process can last between 1-2 months or longer and during this period the author(s) reserves the right to contact the Editor to ask about the status of the review. In the case of rejection, the author(s) reserves the right to publish the article elsewhere. In case of revisions, the author(s) must provide an exposition of all corrections made in the manuscript. In case of dissatisfaction over the decision of rejection, the author can appeal the decision by contacting the Editor.
Policy for the Reviewer(s)
The review process allows the author(s) to improve their manuscript through editorial communications. Scholars/Reviewers accepting to review a research paper have an ethical responsibility to complete this assignment professionally. The quality, credibility, and reputation of a journal also depend on the peer-review process. The peer-review process relies on the trust and demands that a reviewer is supposed to fulfill ethically. The reviewers should:
· Immediately inform the editor if they do not have the subject expertise required to carry out the review.
· It is their humble responsibility to punctually submit the review report on time. They should immediately inform the editor of any possible delays.
· The data included in the research paper is confidential and the reviewer is not allowed to use it for his/her personal study or any other academic or professional purpose.
· Reviewers would consider the research paper as a confidential document. They must not discuss its content on any platform except in cases where professional advice is being sought with the authorization of the editor. They are bound not to disclose the details of any research paper before its publication without the prior approval of the editor.
· A reviewer must declare any conflicting interests (e.g. Personal, financial, intellectual, professional, political, or religious). He/She should declare if the research paper under review is the same as his/her presently conducted the study.
· A reviewer should be honest enough to declare if He/She is biased at any level towards the manuscript submitted.
· The reviewer may justifiably criticize a manuscript but it would be inappropriate to resort to personal criticism on the author(s). He/she is supposed to objectively review with a consideration of high academic, scholarly, and scientific standards.
· Reviewer should bring into the editor's notice, before writing the evaluation report, if the research paper is based on any previous research study or is a replica of an earlier work, or the work is plagiarized. Moreover, if the reviewer suspects the given results to be untrue/unrealistic/fake, all these points should also be identified to the editor.
· For writing an evaluation report, reviewers are sent a prescribed form(s) from the editor and they are supposed to share their comments on that form.
· The editor will surely consider the reviewer's comments and may send the paper to someone else for another opinion or send it back to the author(s) for revision before making any decision. But the final decision about publishing a research paper (either accept or reject) will solely rest with the editor. A reviewer cannot challenge the decision of the editor at any forum.
· ‘’URDU REVIEW’’ is published for two times in a year. Its first issue comes in June and second in December.
· Fifteen (15) research papers are published in one issue. This obligation has been adopted as per HEC Pakistan guidelines for research journals.
· Authors are not allowed to submit their research paper to any other journal if once submitted to ‘’ URDU REVIEW’’ till the time he receives any rejection.
· Papers of the new authors are preferred for the new issue. However, if any paper has been marked as extraordinary work or very notable by the reviewer, that can be considered even if the paper of same author was published in last issue.
· Papers appear at home page of the ‘’URDU REVIEW’’ under editor's choice will be selected after the considerations and comments of the reviewers and may be supposed remarkable.
· Papers, not written/ composed as per the guidelines for authors given at ‘’URDU REVIEW’’ website, will not be entertained for further process.
All rights reserved.
By submitting manuscript to the URDU REVIEW, it is understood that it is an original manuscript, unpublished work and is not submitted elsewhere. Plagiarism, including duplicate publication of the author’s own work, in whole or in part without proper citation is not tolerated by the journal. Plagiarism appears in various forms such as copying the same content from the other source; most commonly from internet, coping elements of another author’s paper such as figures, tables or illustrations that con not be considered as common knowledge.
Self-plagiarism is also not allowed. URDU REVIEW defines self-plagiarism as the intentional or unintentional reuse of one’s own copyrighted work without citing the original source. However, this policy does not apply to the manuscripts presented/appeared in any conference proceeding from the author's side and an explicit reference is made.
Firstly, URDU REVIEW checks plagiarism with the software recommended by HEC Pakistan. Secondly, it is checked manually by the team URDU REVIEW. If plagiarism is detected by the editorial/advisory board member, reviewer etc., at any stage of article process- before or after acceptance, during editing or at a proof reading stage, we will inform the same to the author(s) and will ask them to reconsider the content or to cite the references from where the content has been taken. HEC Pakistan has already set the acceptable limit of similarity index produced by the TURNITIN i.e. 19%.
If the similarity with different sources is more than 19% but less than 25%, we prefer to send back the manuscript to the author and ask him to resubmit the paper after fixing that problem. But, if more than 25% of the paper is plagiarized, the article may be rejected and the same is notified to the author.
Plagiarism detected after publishing:
Sometimes, TURNITIN appears not very much efficient regarding the detection of plagiarism from the papers written in Urdu. In that case, if the plagiarism is detected manually and reported with proof after publishing, URDU REVIEW will conduct an investigation. In case if plagiarism is found, the paper may be formally retracted. Editor will write to the author’s institute and funding agencies about that and the paper containing the plagiarism will be marked "Plagiarism Detected after Publishing" on each page of the PDF Copy for a period of two months. Moreover, after two months, that paper will be removed from the website and author(s) will be banned for next six (6) issues of URDU REVIEW.
Authors must declare that their work is original at the time of submission. For this, an undertaking form has been given in the link below, stating that author has not plagiarized any material and if found guilty he shall be solely responsible and URDU REVIEW reserve the right to take action against him. Author(s) are required to submit that form duly signed and stamped at the time of manuscript submission. In case if a paper has multiple authors, first/ principal author would be bound to take the responsibility of the plagiarism and only he would be required to submit the said undertaking.
All rights reserved. No part of the publications of "URDU REVIEW" may be copied, reproduced, published, sold, distributed, transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, scanning, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the Editor "URDU REVIEW", except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews, research papers and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law without giving reference. However, author(s) of the relevant publications have rights to archive and distribute their articles for academic or research purposes after publishing (online/ print) of the relevant issue(s). Author(s) will be supposed to permit the publisher to apply a DOI to their articles and to archive them in databases and index them in any indexing agency, as the publishing process completes.
For permission requests, write to the editor at the address given below:
The Editor URDU REVIEW
ہدایات سے ہٹ کر بھیجا گیا کوئی بھی مقالہ اشاعت کے لیے ناقابلِ قبول ہو گا۔ مقالہ نگاروں کی ذاتی آراء اور بیانات و نتائج سے 'اردو ریویو' کی مجلسِ ادارت کا متفق ہونا ضروری نہیں۔
1۔ "اردو ریویو" اُردو زبان و ادب کا تحقیقی مجلہ ہے سو اس میں شائع ہونے کے لیے بھیجا جانے والا مقالہ بنیادی مضمون (اُردو (سے متعلق ہی کسی موضوع پر ہونا چاہیے۔ علاوہ ازیں مضمون کی نوعیت بھی خالصتاً تحقیقی (کیفیتی یا کمیتی) ہو۔
1. "URDU REVIEW" is a journal of Urdu language and literature, so the research paper to be submitted must be on a subject related to Urdu. In addition, the nature of the article should be purely research (qualitative or quantitative).
2۔ مقالہ صرف ایم ایس ورڈ(MS Word) میں کمپوزڈ شکل میں ہونا چاہیے۔ ایم ایس ورڈ میں فونٹ Jameel Noori Nastaleeq ہو، بنیادی متن کا فونٹ سائز ۱۴ جب کہ اقتباسات کے لیے۱۲ ہونا چاہیے۔
2. The article should be in composed form in MS Word. The font should be 'Jameel Noori Nastaleeq' and the font size Basic Content 14 and for the quotations 12.
3۔ مقالہ بھیجنے سے پہلے تصدیق کر لیں کہ:
· آپ نے مجلہ "اردو ریویو" کی مختلف معاملات میں پالیسیز کو اچھی طرح پڑھ لیا ہے۔
· مقالہ پروف کی اغلاط سے پاک ہو۔
· مقالہ سرقے سے پاک ہو کیوں کہ اشاعت سے پہلے اسے TURNITINسافٹ وئیر میں باقاعدہ چیک کیا جائے گا اور اگر مطابقتی شرح طے شدہ حد ۱۹فی صد(اکہرے ذریعۂ ماخذ میں ۵ فی صد)سے زیادہ پایا گیا تو مقالہ ناقابلِ اشاعت ہو گا۔
3. Before submitting an article, please assure that:
· You have properly read the policies of "URDU REVIEW" regarding different matters.
· Article is free of proof mistakes.
· Article is free of plagiarism because it will go through the plagiarism check by TURNITIN software and if the similarity index comes out is more than 19% (With Single source not more than 5%), article won't get published.
4۔ مجلہ "اردو ریویو" کو مقالہ بھیجنے کے بعد جب تک اس کے قابلِ اشاعت/ناقابلِ اشاعت/کچھ تبدیلیوں کی صورت میں قابلِ اشاعت ہونے کی بابت مجلسِ ادارت کی طرف سے اطلاع موصول نہ ہو، اُسے کسی اور جگہ اشاعت کے لیے نہ بھیجا جائے۔
4. After submitting a paper to the "URDU REVIEW", don't send it to any other publishing agency until or unless you receive any email from "Matan" about its status like unpublished/required any changes etc.
5۔ مقالے کا عنوان ،اُردو اور انگریزی ،مقالہ نگار کا نام انگریزی ،تلخیص(abstract)انگریزی کلیدی الفاظ،اردو (keywords) ا زبان میں دیے جائیں اورمقالے کی تلخیص ڈیڑھ سو سے دو سو الفاظ پر مشتمل ہو۔
5. The name of author (designation, address), the title of the article in Urdu & English, The name of author in English,the abstract and the keywords should be given in English. Abstract should consist of 150 to 200 words.
6۔ مقالے کے آخر میں حوالہ جات وحواشی لازمی دیے جائیں۔
6. References must be given at the end of the research paper.
7۔ مقالے میں حوالہ جات کے اندراج کا مندرجہ ذیل طریقہ اختیار کیا جائے:
کتاب کا حوالہ:
مصنف کا نام، کتاب کا نام( شہر کا نام: ادارۂ اشاعت،سنِ اشاعت)، صفحہ نمبر۔
گوپی چند نارنگ،ساختیات، پس ساختیات اور مشرقی شعریات (لاہور:سنگِ میل پبلی کیشنز، ۱۹۸۵ء)، ص۔
اگر ایک ہی کتاب سے دویا تین دفعہ حوالہ آئے تو بار بار مکمل حوالہ لکھنے کی بجائےمصنف کا نام،کتاب کا نام اور صفحہ نمبر لکھنا کافی ہے۔
رسالے کا حوالہ:
مصنف کا نام، ’’مضمون کا عنوان‘‘، مشمولہ:رسالے کا نام( نسخ فونٹ یا Batool Unicode) ( شہر کا نام: ادارۂ اشاعت،سنِ اشاعت)،جلد نمبر، شمارہ نمبر، صفحہ نمبر۔
گوپی چند نارنگ،’’ادب اور سیاست کا رشتہ‘‘، مشمولہ:بازیافت(لاہور: شعبہ اردو پنجاب یونیورسٹی، ۱۹۸۵ء)،جلد۱۲،شمارہ۲، ص۔
اگر انٹرنیٹ سے کسی آن لائن فائل کا حوالہ دیا جائے تو پیج لنک کے علاوہ تاریخ اور وقت لکھنا بھی ضروری ہے۔
7. Following reference style should be followed:
In case a book is cited:
Author name (full), Book name , bracket open: City: Publishing agency, Date bracket close, page no.
Steven Grosby, Nationalism (New York: Oxford university press, 2005), P 44.
If two or three references are made from the same book, it is sufficient to write the book's name and page number instead of repeated reference.
In case an article from any journal is cited:
Author name (full/principle), Article Title, in: Name of the Journal , bracket open: City: Publishing agency, Date bracket close, Volume No, Issue No, Page No.
Ali Abbas, "The role of literature in society", In: Oriental Journal of Literature, (Lahore: Punjab University, 2011), Vol.12, Issue 02, P 21.
If any online material is cited, then give the Time & Date of citation along with the link address.